Saturday, August 13, 2011

Nevermore by Kelly Creagh

Book: Nevermore
Author: Kelly Creagh
# of Pages: 543 (Hardcover)
Rating: 5 stars

Goodreads Summary:
Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.

Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.

As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.

His life depends on it.

My Thoughts: I had read so many great reviews about this book, and I was so intrigued by the Edgar Allan Poe theme that I just had to read it. And it did not disappoint.


Isobel may be  a cheerleader, but she does not let anyone stand in her way. She is not afraid to stand up for herself. I love this quality about her.  The best word I can think of to describe Varen is misunderstood. His classmates assume he is abnormal and freakish because of his Goth appearance. But, if they looked closer they would see that he is just lonely. Varen is sort of the opposite of Isobel when it comes to standing up for himself. Instead of defending himself against the threats and insults thrown at him, he just loses himself in his own imagination and dreams that eventually take over his life.


I got so lost in this book that I ended up staying up until 4 a.m. two nights in a row. I had to know if Isobel and Varen were going to get together. I had to know more about this dreamworld that Varen had created. I just could not get enough of Creagh's amazing writing.


There are so many things that I loved about this book. The strong characters, the unique storyline, the references to Poe, the suspense and romance. This is definitely my favorite book I have read so far this year. I absolutely LOVED it!!! And I know that I will be reading it again (and there are very few books that I am willing to read a second time). The only irksome thing is now I have to wait until January to find out what happens next…

No comments:

Post a Comment