Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Book: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
# of Pages: 487 (Hardcover)
Rating: 5 stars
Goodreads Summary

At first, I did not even want to read this book. I read the summary and thought that it just was not for me. But then, I kept coming across all these reviews saying how amazing this book was and how it was the best of the year. So, eventually I gave in and bought the book eager to see what all the hype was about.

Divergent is a dystopian novel that takes place several years from now. In this clever world that Roth created, the people are separated into 5 factions Abnegation, Candor, Dauntless, Amity, and Erudite. The main character, Beatrice (Tris), is a member of Abnegation who is on the verge of becoming an adult and choosing which faction she will be a part of for the rest of her life. The story follows Tris and her training as she strives to be one of the lucky few initiated into her chosen faction, Dauntless. Along the way she makes friends, she makes enemies, and she unintentionally falls for one of the instructors, Four.

I am not the biggest fan of first person narratives, but this one was AWESOME! I admit I felt like putting the book down after the first chapter, but as I kept reading, the book got better and better. I love how Tris is such a strong protagonist. Though she is short, just like me, she is not made out to be some sort of weakling, but a brave fighter. As for Four, he was just so likable even though at times he came across as intimidating. I also like how his and Tris's relationship was not overly sappy.

Full of action, romance, and great characters, this book has earned a spot on my favorites shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment