Thursday, February 28, 2013

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Book: Obsidian (Lux #1)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
# of Pages: 335 (Paperback)
Challenge: 2013 TBR Pile Reading Challenge
Rating: 3 stars

Goodreads Summary:
Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.


My Thoughts:
At first I was not sure if I'd like this book. But with all the hype I needed to see for myself what all the fuss was about. And I have to say that it was not what I expected.

I liked that Katy is a book blogger. It made her very relatable. For the most part she was a smart, strong protagonist. Though there were times when she made really stupid decisions. I thought Daemon was obnoxious. I did like his mysterious nature, but the mind games he played with Katy got irritating after a while.

Obsidian was funny, full of action, and nicely written. I did have a couple issues with the book though. The plot reminded me forcibly of Twilight. And a lot of the things that happened were predictable. Also, Katy and Daemon's relationship was not as "hot" as I thought it would be.

Overall, I did not like Obsidian as much as I thought I would. But I was very interested in the alien concept, and I do want to know what happens next to Katy and Daemon.

No comments:

Post a Comment