Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Short Short Story

I was going through my computer and found this story that I wrote for my FictionWriting class in college, so I thought I'd share it.


Don't Mess With Me

“Oh, I forgot to tell you, my mother is coming over for dinner tonight,” Tyler said as he steered through the morning traffic.

I was in the midst of taking a sip of my Starbucks coffee, and choked spitting out the mouthful onto my shirt.

“What?” I cried as I searched for a napkin in the glove compartment.  I found one and started dabbing at the spot on my shirt.

“Yeah, she called last week saying that she was coming to visit,” Tyler said happily as he came to a stop at a red light.

*The old badger better not be staying the whole week.*

I sighed determined to restrain myself from arguing about it.  I resorted to staring out the windshield.  I could see 
Tyler out of the corner of my eye looking at me every few minutes as he wound his way through the slow-moving cars ahead of us as if they were traffic cones.

I sat seething as the car sped onward.  I had given up on the spot and was now crumpling the napkin in my fist.  He knew that his mother annoyed me.  And yet there he sat beside me humming along to the radio carefree and oblivious to my frustration. It was like he had purposely waited until now to tell me this.  Well, I wasn’t going to let him ruin my day.  

I was just pondering how to get back at Tyler, when he pulled up to the curb in front of my office.  I got out of the car, slammed the door, and walked toward the entrance of the building without a word.

“Jen, hold on,” Tyler called.

“What?” I demanded turning around.

*Why is he smiling like that?*

“April Fools!”

I marched back to the car and saw the smile slide from his face.  I slowly took the cap off of my coffee, opened the car door, and pretended that I was about to dump it on him. The stunned look on his face was priceless.  He cowered in his seat as I raised. the cup higher.

“Gotcha!” I said smirking at his expression as I turned away from the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment