Friday, November 4, 2011

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Book: The Iron King
Author: Julie Kagawa
# of Pages: 363 (Paperback)
Rating: 4 stars

This is the first book I have read that deals with faeries. I did not know what to expect, but I was very intrigued with the story.

Meghan's little brother, Ethan, is kidnapped. She and her best friend Robbie/Puck must go into the Nevernever to save him. The Nevernever is a magical, faery-inhabited world. I've heard many people compare it to the world in Alice in Wonderland. Though I would like to concoct my own original comparison, I cannot think of one at the moment and so must agree that it is like Wonderland. Interesting creatures roam the land, there is a Summer Court and a Winter Court, and technology is slowly taking over the realm.

I love Puck. He is a great friend to Meghan, a prankster, and is quite funny. Ash is a prince of the Winter Court. He's dark, serious, and has a strong hatred for Puck. Meghan enlists Ash to help them find Ethan, to Puck's great fury. Together they battle their way through the Nevernever as well as the human world encountering obstacles and enemies alike.

One small thing that irked me about Meghan was that she did not seem to learn from her mistakes. When she is told to hide, she just stands where she is until it is too late. This aside, Meghan is brave, determined, and a little stubborn, and it is these things that helps her reach her goal.

This was a great, enjoyable read and I can't wait to read the rest of the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment