Friday, March 8, 2013

Cross My Heart, Hope To Die by Sara Shepard

Book: Cross My Heart, Hope To Die (The Lying Game #5)
Author: Sara Shepard
# of Pages: 321 (Hardcover)
Challenge: 2013 YA Contemporary Challenge
Rating: 5 stars

Goodreads Summary:
When I died two months ago, my killer told my twin sister to become me—or else. Now Emma has it down to a T. She tosses her hair with the signature Sutton Mercer flip and can lead a Lying Game prank with the best of them. She’s even repairing my relationship with my adoptive family. The only thing she hasn’t done is solve my murder.

Then our birth mother, the woman who abandoned us, showed up in Tucson. Emma hasn’t seen Becky in twelve years, but Becky recognizes Emma immediately—as Emma. Is it a mother’s intuition . . . or does Becky know I’m already gone?


My Thoughts:
If you have not read books 1-4 there may be spoilers.

This is by far the best book in the series. It's creepy. It's dark. And like the rest of Sara Shepard's books, it was addictive.

I am starting to like Thayer more and more with each book and really starting to hate Ethan. While Thayer is kind and patient, Ethan is short-tempered and manipulative. I thought Ethan was particularly evasive in this book. He would not give Emma direct answers when she asked him questions and he was very smooth when it came to changing the subject.

Emma and Sutton's birth mother, Becky has a bigger role in this book and we learn more about her past. Emma continues to pretend to be Sutton, although I don't get how she has managed to make it so long when she and Sutton have two completely different personalities. And it is becoming more and more evident who the murderer is. I will be very surprised if it isn't who I think it is. Also, I was stunned by the ending. I had to read it again to make sure I read it right the first time.

Overall, Cross My Heart, Hope To Die was a fantastic book. And with an unexpected ending like that, I'm going to be counting down the days until the final installment in the series comes out in July.

1 comment:

  1. I keep hearing such good things about this series but it's not my favourite genre but my niece would love it! Great review :D
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete